February 10, 2014

Peter O'Mahony - Retuning our definition of success


Munster and Ireland rugby player Peter O'Mahony (@peterom6) was named Man of the Match after Ireland's victory of Wales in the second weekend of the 2014 6 Nations (report here, video highlights here). O'Mahony was applauded and heralded by pundits, rugby fans and commentators across the board. O'Mahony commented after the match:
"I’m getting there. I'm always learning. There is still a lot of work to be done. I’m far from the finished article but I’m enjoying it at the moment. I’m learning a lot under the new coaching staff and I’m learning a lot from the players I’m playing alongside as well."
I previously wrote of the Irish born Grenoble rugby player James Hart here. In a feature in The Sunday Times Peter O'Reilly explained how James Hart had experienced failure but bounced back, refused to give up and spent hours putting in extra practice.

There is an automatic cultural assumption that you either have it or you don't. Peter O'Mahony and James Hart are students for life. They never stop. They have never learnt enough. They have the hunger and the resilience to know that defeat is not failure but a lesson.

My previous posts on the need to redefine our definition of success with Maria Popova here, with Matthew Syed here, with Matthew Syed again here, with Dan Pink here, with Washington educationalist Michelle Rhee here, and with Sir Ken Robinson here. My posts on creativity with Charlie Rose here, with Aleks Krotowski on combinatorial creativity here, on networked knowledge here, here, with Giles Coren here, with Sinead O'Connor here, with Muriel Rukeyser here and on coffee houses as crucibles of creativity here.On rugby player James Hart here.

Also see my Act with Agency series from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...