November 04, 2013

Christianism versus Christianity, Ctd

Andrew Sullivan explains christianism, he says here
"I do not believe that adherence to doctrinal lines makes one a Christianist. A Christianist, like an Islamist, cannot rest until his view of the world is enforced by law on others through political action. A Christian can be a rigid doctrinal enforcer in his own faith community without being a Christianist. Let me give Rod an example of a doctrinal line I would not cross: the Incarnation. Or, in fact, the entire Nicene Creed, which I recite at Mass with conviction. But I have no desire at all to impose that view of the meaning of the universe on anyone else whatsoever – let alone backed by the coercion of the state.That is where I differ from Christianists."
In full here. Previous post in the series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...