October 20, 2013

Art is theft, Ctd Gerald Scarfe


Gerald Scarfe said of the French political cartoonist Honoré Daumier:
"At times, his influence on me has been almost palpable. In 1834 he did a drawing called The Legislative Belly: rows of plump and senescent parliamentarians gossiping, sleeping, scribbling on bits of paper, all looking entirely unsuited to governing the country. I used it as the direct inspiration for a large theatre backdrop I painted for a production of Orpheus in the Underworld in 1988." 
And this was a fascinating comment from Scarfe: "I wonder whether Daumier’s portrayal of the pear-shaped king might have been an unconscious influence on me recently when I drew David Cameron as a lightbulb."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...