September 26, 2013

The Basic Canon of Northern Irish life - Mistrust

Leon Uris in his book The Haj wrote of Arabs:
"So before I was nine I learned the basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother, me and my brother against my father, my family against my cousins and the clan, the clan giants the tribe, and the tribe against the world. And all of us against the infidel." 
As it was put elsewhere, little has changed since the seventh century, except for the weapons.When it comes to Northern Ireland we could put it like this:
"So before I was nine I learned the basic canon of (Northern Ireland) life. It was me against my brother, me and my brother against my father, my family against my cousins and the clan, the clan giants the tribe, and the tribe against the world. And all of us against the infidel."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...